Updated: Mar 13
Podcasts constantly add joy and motivation to my life! I am a big podcast fan, especially in this season! Using them as a habit pair has been such a winning life hack. It’s one of those things that seems so simple it’s not even worth mentioning, but it’s been a game changer for me so I figured I’d pass it along.
Habit Pairing is no new concept. It’s the idea of pairing a “dull” task with a “delight task” to creative a positive habit.
- You save your favorite show for folding laundry. - You schedule a coffee date after a dreaded appointment to help you look forward to something. - You put your daily vitamins in your empty coffee cup the night before, so that it reminds you before you have your coffee to take your vitamins.
You get the idea. Whatever you dread, combine it with something you love so it helps you rewire the connection to that action.
Podcasts can be such a powerful tool with this idea of ”Habit Pairing”. A little education, a little inspiration, a little entertainment…all while doing chores around the house, getting a workout done, or enduring a long commute. Such a win win!
I encourage you to find a podcast or two and give this a try. They have podcasts for everything. Heath, sports, favorite show, sermons, etc.
For me twice, almost every day, I do a house tiddy and Podcast listen. Naptime and Bedtime reset. Something about putting in my headphone and listening to a podcast really gives me the motivation I need to get some chores done.
Similar to playlists, your podcast list will look totally different depending on your season and personality. Here are some of my favorites, (also some of Ryans).
- At Home With Sally
- Raising Cross-Formed Kids
- 1,000 Hours Outside
- Intentional Family
Joy/Easy Mood Booster
- Julie‘s Library
- Happier with Gretchen Rubin
- The Honesty Club
- Uncommon with Cody Graves
- The Bible Project
- NT Wright
- Believers World Outreach Church (my home church)
Happy listening and learning,